Saturday, September 12, 2009

Autumn Almost Here

The light is different in the autumn than in summer. No one seems to know what I mean by that.
Well, its less intense, gentler, more filtered somehow. The angle is different too.
Whatever, it is different.
I guess I enjoy the lighter intensity of autumn a bit more than the direct dead on harshness of summer light.
There is a difference , they say, between autumn and fall also. Autumn being the whole season but fall being the time when leaves begin to drift down to the ground.

I used to enjoy the piles of leaves in fall and when people could burn them the smell was wonderful and so traditionally "autumn". Burning leaves, soft afternoons with gentle breezes and that hint of increasing chill in the mornings and evenings.
Some mornings you wake to a hint of frost on things...other mornings have that bit of extra dew.
Makes me think of the Folgers Coffee commercial that used to play.
"The best part of waking up is Folger's in your cup".
It was a very effective campaign for them I bet. The tune was catchy and the films that went along with it were nice and homey.
Anyway it's a lovely day today. Cool enough to open windows.. breezy enough for it to fill the house with lovely aromas of outdoors and just sweet.
Almost Autumn now...................

No comments: