Monday, September 07, 2009

Labor Day

Labor Day today. For many it's just the end of a three day weekend. I guess that there are those who do truly remember the whys and wherefore's of its beginnings though.


It has been suggested that this article or section be merged into International Workers' Day. (Discuss)
Labour Day or Labor Day is an annual holiday celebrated all over the world that resulted from the labour union movement, to celebrate the economic and social achievements of workers. The majority of countries celebrate Labour Day on May 1, and it is popularly known as May Day and International Workers' Day, while some celebrate on the first Monday of September.
The celebration of Labour Day has its origins in the Eight-hour day movement, which advocated eight hours for work, eight hours for recreation, and eight hours for rest...from wikipedia.

Interesting to see where these days have their beginnings. Things get muddled over time and we forget what they are for.
I mean who knows the meaning of many of the holidays we have or even their meanings anymore?
It could be that if you asked around people would tell you that they have no clue.
Lately I have made it a habit to look up each holiday and see a little about it's history etc. because I saw that even if I knew something about it, I didnt know all about it at all and much of the most interesting parts of it are.

The labor movement in the US was important because workers were sometimes very exploited .
It might be stretching it to think that anyone would remember the Triangle Shirtwaist fire in NYC.
Those women were treated badly on the job. No fire doors, they were locked in the room to work and so when the place went up in flames the women burned or jumped. Some went through the sidewalk... breaking the concrete, so hard were their falls.
Of course they needed a union to fight for their rights.
Not to say the unions were not sometimes bad and corrupt, but, for the most part they did a good job.

No comments: