Friday, September 04, 2009

When fall approaches there is a change in the light as it settles down on the earth.
Its thinner, less strident and angled differently. Even on hot September days the light is just a bit different as the earth and the sun move into different positions to begin their fall dance.

The Choke Cherry trees and the Willows are the first to show signs of approaching cold. Their leaves begin to yellow here and there as they look forward to a winter nap.

What I will miss about summertime is the riot of flowers that cascade out of planters, window boxes and hanging pots. I love the pinks, reds, yellows, violets that party all over the yard. Autumn is pretty with its oranges and red glows but, it's just not the same as the riotous colors of summer.
This year summer was late in coming because of the cooler than usual spring and early summer.
It actually seems like Summer is just getting started rather than just ending for that reason.

I hope there is a longer growing season next year and more time to sit outdoors and take all that color in.

No comments: