Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Movie Reviews

I was reading a movie review from 1933 of the Claudette Colbert movie "I Cover the Waterfront".
It seems that then as now movie critics find fault with almost everything. They seem to rarely like a movie and when they do I often wonder what in the world they are thinking anyway.
They didnt like "The Majestic" but I loved it. It was a really nice movie.
They also didn't like "Return to Me" but, again it was a lovely film full that makes you smile.
I wonder if one reason they find so much fault is that telling people a movie is nice won't get them readers?
People seem to like bad news and bad reviews. Controversy seems to be more popular than anything else .

So even in 1933 the critics were not easy on Hollywood.
Not that all Hollywood pictures are great. Many aren't but, I think the reviews could be a bit more easy going and less brutal sometimes.
It is amazing how many people work on a film. When the credits role, sometimes way way too fast, you see all those many names that it took to make that movie. Its amazing, like a small corporation really.
I like to see til the very end, all the credits and etc and I love to hear the music as it finishes up.
That has to be quite a job too..the music.
Some of it is just so beautiful.

Well, since this review was from 1933 I suppose one good thing is seeing that some things never change much.

No comments: